#RealTalk with Reese Egyed
Reese came into our lives with a lot of information on Korean and Japanese food, and we will be forever grateful. We tried to ask her about other things in her life, but most of her answers came back to food and beverages. Next time you call Coal and Canary, ask the friendly voice on the other side of the phone the best places to get bubble tea!
1. What Spice Girl would you be?
Baby Spice has always been my favorite (and she is my mom's favorite.) I do own a lot of babydoll dresses and have been known to wear pigtails, so I still think she is the top Spice Girl! But can we all agree that Sporty Spice has the most phenomenal voice?!
2. If you were to write a self-help book, what would the title be?
“Moving On and Getting Over” and the entire book is just the John Mayer song on repeat. @johnmayer gets it.
2. What was your favourite rejected candle name?
I am still in the process of innocently eavesdropping.
3. If you could make one food have no calories for the rest of time, what would it be?
Two Bite Brownies! Or McDonald’s Double Cheeseburgers. There are a lot of foods I would like to vacuum calories out of.
4. What smell do you love?
I really love the smell of lemon! Freshly baked goods of any variety, as well. Cannot forget roses, either!
5. What smell do you hate?
Any kind of lavender or lilac smell. I live in an apartment building, so I also get bombarded by the stench of smoking, cooking fish, and other strange indiscernible things. Apartment dwellers never go nose blind. Ever.
6. Tell us something that would surprise us about you?
People always sound shocked when I say I cannot drive. Or when they find out my racial / ethnic background.
7. What is your most basic guilty pleasure?
Boy bands. It does not matter what part of the world they are from, I love boy bands, I collect their merchandise, and I dedicate far too much time to fangirling. I particularly indulge in One Direction and EXO (a South Korean boy group.)
8. What is your personal motto?
I live hoping that I am “mad, bad, and dangerous to know.” It was said of one of my personal idols, Lord Byron, by his lover, Lady Caroline Lamb. Do I sound enough like a loser English major yet?
9. What job would you want if you didn’t work at Coal and Canary?
I would love to be the next Jay Rayner—he is a UK-based food critic for the Observer. Or maybe Anthony Bourdain! Definitely a food writer.
10. Who would you like to play you in a Hollywood film?
Lily Collins or Jenna Coleman. Lily has the eyebrows and Jenna has the round face. Maybe if they had an ultra beautiful lovechild..?
11. What is your go-to studio sing-along?
In general, I cannot avoid doing a performance to Queen’s ‘Don’t Stop Me Now,’ the Glee Cast’s version of ‘It’s Not Unusual,’ or Olly Murs’ ‘Feel The Same.’
12. What is your favourite cocktail?
One cannot go wrong with an Old Fashioned or a Mojito. Generally, I order and enjoy anything 2oz or over.
13. Do you usually go with your head or your heart?
Too much of my head, much to my dismay.
14. What makes you smile?
Flat faced animals. If I feel unusually upset, I just look at flat faced cats and dogs on Instagram. Also my parents! I love my mom and dad!
15. If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
I would have taken another major at university. Most of the things that I have really struggled with were a result of my choices at university.
16. If you spent a day watching movies when you should have been at work, is it time wasted or well spent?
Depends on what I am watching! If it is a string of W, Hallmark, or Lifetime films—perhaps it was a waste.. If I am sitting around watching TCM or Marvel films.. a whole other story.