#RealTalk with Ryan Van Berkel
Ryan is fantastic at making candles, but he's definitely the odd one out at Coal and Canary. We love him though. He refuses to accept that he has amazing potential to be a drag queen. Probably because he's a programming, gaming, artistic nerd. He bought two laptops in high school to play computer games at lunch time. There wasn’t enough space to install a game on his limited school account folder, so he installed it on the school server so everyone could play it. The school even had a big game day and tournament on the school computers during class. #ClassHero
1. What’s the most unusual thing you have done at Coal and Canary?
I've not worked here for long, but during my short time of operation I've witnessed multiple doughnut parties, and even a surprise birthday party for me. That's right, on my second day working here Tom and Amanda didn't forget to extend their kind wishes to me! The strangest thing that I've witnessed though would probably be the day when Tom spent the entire afternoon combing his 400 dollar wigs. Shhhh, don't tell Amanda though. I think Tom was supposed to be working.
2. If you were to write a self-help book, what would the title be?
“How to write a self help book” -Ryan Van Berkel 2017
3. If you could create a C+C candle, what would it be called and what would it smell like?
I love the line of candles that smell like baked goods. I am a terrible baker, and even worse cook, so although it might sound weird I’ve always wanted like a “Roast Beast” or “Garlic roasted Buttered Potatoes”. Whenever I'd be cooking I could just light one to mask the smell of whatever atrocities I’d be whipping up.
4. If you could make one food have no calories for the rest of time, what would it be?
If I did that it probably wouldn’t taste good any more… so water I guess. Oh wait...
5. What smell do you love?
I absolutely love the cupcake candle smell. Otherwise, the smell when you open up a bee hive on a warm summer evening.
6. What smell do you hate?
Musty, dank old people smell. Thank goodness that's not a candle.
7. Tell us something that would surprise us about you?
I secretly wish I was as pretty as Tom. I'm also a bit of an artist.
8. What is your most basic guilty pleasure?
PSL… I am a basic white gurl, I know.
9. What is your personal motto?
“Whats'a motto with you?” & “Hakuna Matata” - Timon and Pumbaa
10. What job would you want if you didn’t work at Coal and Canary?
Bee keeper. Bee keeping is my summer job 🐝
11. Who would you like to play you in a Hollywood film?
13. What is your favourite cocktail?
14. Do you usually go with your head or your heart?
Both. Good decisions take thought and soul.
15. What makes you smile?
Weddings make me cry, but I am smiling on the inside.
16. If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
I am not dead yet, and the world hasn’t blown up yet. If I went back in time both of those would probably happen.
17. If you spent a day watching movies when you should have been at work, is it time wasted or well spent?
I wouldn't want to spend all day in bed watching movies anyway. I’d rather be playing games.